Monday, September 5, 2016

The Hormone that May Cause ASMR



I have a theory about ASMR (What is ASMR? Click Here).  I will preface this by saying I am not a Psychiatrist so my working knowledge of brain chemistry is rudimentary.  But, I have done a lot of research on stress for the various stress reduction trainings I have taught over the years.  

You may know about "Fight or Flight" and how your body prepares to physically fight or run away in reaction to stress.  Fewer people know of another response to stress called "Tend and Befriend." This is a reaction that is mostly attributed to women but I believe is also felt by many men. 

It is fueled by an increase in the hormone Oxytocin.  Oxytocin is often called the "love hormone" and increases the behaviors that build relationships.  In the case of stress it causes people to "Tend" to their families and their loved ones and "Befriend" by calling the people who support them to discuss the stressful issue.  

I feel Oxytocin may also be responsible for ASMR.  Since ASMR is a very physical, rather than emotional feeling, there must be some chemical change happening in the body.  The reason I believe Oxytocin may be involved is that I have also gotten ASMR when thinking about people I love.  It has to be a very strong love reaction, like when I was first falling in love with my husband, when my son was first born and I would just look at him most of the day, or even now when my son is sleeping (and not ordering me around, he is 5...).  

The feeling I would get on the back of my head in these situations is exactly the same as what I get when I am listening to ASMR recordings that trigger me.  One important component of ASMR for many people is personal attention.  I think it is that sound of someone really appreciating and taking care of you that creates this reaction for me.  It is the same way a really good friend or loved one will sit right next to you, hug or complement you and allow you to really feel seen. 

The fact that my brain can be tricked into this feeling by a recording created by someone I don't even know, still astounds me. I will not look a gift horse in the mouth though, as ASMR has allowed me to reduce my stress dramatically.  

Thank You, to all the talented ASMRtists who have given me the instant relaxation tool that has changed my life.  I so appreciate you, and am glad to have actually befriended some of you!

So here is my gift of relaxation to you.  I hope you can feel appreciated and cared for while you relax.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your experience with these Meditations. Let me know below!